Tuesday, October 4, 2016

How to build a UHF SATCOM antenna for under $20 FINAL PART

I received many e-mails about my UHF SATCOM antenna article, some of them asking nicely and some downright obscene. I have many reason whey I didn't finish the article, which run the gamut from starting a new career to getting divorced, but looking back I should have not left you hanging.

That said, if you follow the directions in the post on Radio Reference you'll find out how to build the phase harness for the radiating elements.  It's fairly simple to do and will take you less than a day to build if you have the proper tools and patience.

Use my dimensions but use the phasing instructions on THIS THREAD and you'll succeed. I built a version using a large magnet and made me a mobile SATCOM antenna and it works amazingly well, even without amplification.


I also replaced the reflector at the rear of the first antenna I built with an old parabolic dish from a discarded DISH network antenna and turned it into a permanent UHF SATCOM base antenna and can now listen to UHF SATCOM from anywhere.



Currently I am working on a small handheld version. I will post a how-to article on it as soon as I get it done.

To the many who followed this series of articles and were patiently waiting for the other shoe to drop, thanks for your missives and overwhelming patience. To the other guy who just told me to go fuck myself, fuck you too.

-Steve Douglass


PREVIOUS ARTICLES

3 comments:

Philip said...

I love the look of your first one with the dish! Also it appears you've removed some director elements.

KF8ZR said...

Thanks for a fine article. I am planning to monitor satcom around 255 mhz. NFM .
I would like to set up a portable antenna and a base station antenna
.

Matt Dougherty said...

Thank you so very, very much for this antenna, I can not wait to start building it. I am so incredibly excited to see how it turns out. Sorry some people were assholes to you, you have a live, and things better to do then post on here, I am sure. But thank you for doing so. YOU ROCK. Matt Dougherty

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin